Our Wedding and a Fire

Two years ago today I married my best friend and love of my life (I know so sappy). This is going to be the longest post I’ve written, but trust me you will want to read this! This isn’t your traditional wedding post that most bloggers write. Instead, I’m going to share with you everything that went wrong leading up to our wedding and on the wedding day itself. That’s a little more interesting, right?

Robert and I were together for 4 years before we got married and were engaged for over a year to make sure we had enough time to plan our wedding without feeling rushed. Everything started out fine…picked the church, the reception venue, the cake, and my dress without a hitch. About two weeks before the wedding is when everything started to go wrong…..

I’m Catholic and Robert isn’t, and we were getting married in a Catholic church. I received a phone call from the church secretary saying we were not allowed to get married in this church since Robert wasn’t baptized Catholic. We had met with the priest a dozen times and went to a all day workshop and the priest always said this wouldn’t be an issue. Naturally I was upset after receiving this phone call and luckily I have an awesome Mother. She called the church for me and it turns out there was a misunderstanding and we could get married there after all. Problem solved…or so we thought.

Next up, I ordered my dress about 9 months ahead of time and knew it would have to be altered because of how petite I am. Little did I know I was going to have about eight dress fittings before I could have my dress. I wasn’t able to pick up my dress until 2 days before the wedding and it still didn’t fit quite how I hoped (talk about stressful). Oh well, I’m sure I’m the only one that can really tell anyway and I did love the dress so much.

Then cue the biggest mishap of the entire wedding. Everyone arrives to the rehearsal at the church that my family has been going to ever since we moved to North Carolina from New Jersey. We walk in the church and all of the the lights are out. I just figured they turned them out because it’s July and super hot. Boy was I wrong. Turns out the church had a FIRE and we weren’t going to be able to have our wedding there. I didn’t receive a phone call or anything and we were getting married the very next day. I just stood there shocked with tears in my eyes but knew I couldn’t get mad at the priest. Luckily a church down the road was available or I don’t know what we would have done.

Then the wedding day comes. I get to the church (late of course since I’m never on time for anything) and couldn’t wait to see Robert. After I walk down the aisle and the ceremony begins the priest calls Robert the wrong name! He calls him Roger instead and I interrupted him mid prayer to correct him. Oops. I’ll forgive the priest since he’s 80 after all.

Then finally every time that we went outside to take pictures it poured!!! It was insane how much rain we got that day. We weren’t able to take some of the outside pictures we wanted to but I love the umbrella shots that were taken and rain is good luck on your wedding day anyway!

After everything that went wrong that day, we definitely have a funny story that we’re able to tell that shocks everyone. And after all, according to ‘Sex and the City’ having a not so perfect wedding leads to the perfect marriage. Regardless of everything that happened it was the happiest day of my life and I was so thankful to spend that day surrounded by everyone that we love. I love being married every day and can’t wait to see what the future holds for us! Here are some pictures from our wedding (all pictures are courtesy of Nancy Ray photography).

61804_841174307899_5631150_n
60874_841174198119_4844598_n
60232_841178200099_581998_n

1. July 17, 2012 / 11:28 am

Yay!!! Love this! And now I want a cupcake!

Happy anniversary crazy kids!
    Love,
    Your MOH

2. July 17, 2012 / 11:34 am

of course you know i love this post :)! such crazy stories, so glad you shared them. Love the pictures, and your dress is AMAZING!

3. July 17, 2012 / 12:45 pm

Hey, it's not real wedding day unless a couple things go wrong, right? 😉 Lovely pictures – your dress was gorgeous!!

Sarah
    smalltowncatwalk.blogspot.ca

4. July 17, 2012 / 1:05 pm

Congratulations on your anniversary. I am reading your post and did not even realize that it was lenghty like you said because I love happy endings. I am almost to tears. You look so beautiful on your wedding day and thanks for sharing.

xo
    Sam

5. July 17, 2012 / 1:27 pm

Happy Anniversary! Your wedding photos are insanely gorgeous!! You guys look so happy!

xo everything-pretty.com

6. July 17, 2012 / 1:29 pm

Congratulations on your anniversary. Beautiful pictures and your dress was gorgeous. We had some serious mishaps on our wedding day too :).

7. July 17, 2012 / 1:36 pm

Happy anniversary, Angela! That is so crazy that the church had a fire right before the wedding but I'm so glad that you were able to find another one! I had 4 dress fittings which I thought was a lot. I almost killed the woman doing alterations who I've dubbed the seamstress nazi 🙂

My wedding was not perfect either! I wound up hating my wedding photos which really kills me to this day.

-Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

8. July 17, 2012 / 1:53 pm

Happy anniversary! And damn girl! That is an epic wedding story. Honestly. But you looked amazing and I love that umbrella shot your photographer got. And have you ever heard the saying, "A wet knot lasts longer" ?

Hannah Tattoos and Pearls

9. July 17, 2012 / 1:58 pm

Fire, rain, what an adventure! That umbrella shot is amazing and I really love your lace gown! Wishing you and Robert many more wonderful years:)

10. July 17, 2012 / 2:12 pm

Angela, you looked so beautiful! I love your wedding dress. Everything that could possibly go wrong did, BUT your love for one another. And at the end of the day, that's all that matters. You're a beautiful couple! Are you guys going to have a renewal of your vows wedding? HaHaHa Or is one ceremony enough?

11. July 17, 2012 / 2:23 pm

I wondered if you were going to blog about your wedding day blues. Poor thing, but I'm SO glad that it worked out and now y'all are enjoying your happy marriage in Chicago 🙂

12. July 17, 2012 / 5:23 pm

These are so beautiful! Thank you for the tipps and for sharing

xx
    meinmode.blogspot.com

13. July 17, 2012 / 5:33 pm

Girl, you are way more relaxed than me!! I can't believe you had to switch churches the day before. How in the heck did everyone know where to go? Holy moly, I would have FREAKED! And we got married in the Catholic Church too and the priest called me Shannon, Shauna, Shayna….never got my name right either! Classic! You looked gorg and I love the umbrella shot too!!!
    Shanna
    Giveaway @ Because Shanna Said So

14. July 17, 2012 / 6:56 pm

You look stunning! I hope you have the fourth photo framed somewhere in your home.

15. July 18, 2012 / 3:40 am

Happy anniversary! You look so lovely in your dress and you weren't kidding when you said there were some mishaps. I would have fell to pieces but in hind sight that really does make for an epic story glad everything turned out good in the end 🙂

16. July 18, 2012 / 4:45 am

Wow, that's quite a wedding story! Your pictures are so beautiful! Happy anniversary!

17. July 18, 2012 / 11:23 am

gosh, I just saw that episode where Charlotte got married and the wedding was quite a disaster! and how exciting is your story! one of your best posts.. and outfits of course 😉

Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi – part of me

18. July 19, 2012 / 11:50 pm

Saw you following on twitter and I thought I'd stop by and say hello! Congratulations on your wedding, and can't wait to follow along with your site.

Cheers, Elizabeth of The Corner Apartment

19. July 20, 2012 / 7:13 am

Love the story and love the pictures! You look so lovely! Incredible how much you and your sister look-a-like. One pretty family! And then the couple, you both make a lovely and in-love couple! It's better to have a rough start and smooth sailing then the other way around! I enjoyed reading it as it is an incredible story! I wish you both all the best!!

xoxo

20. July 20, 2012 / 1:15 pm

ahhh happy anniversary, angela! that is a CRAZY STORY! ahhh! i had some freak out moments like that for sure… here's to a long and happy marriage!

21. July 20, 2012 / 5:55 pm

You look amazing dear.Beautiful dress.Wish you all the best in your life 🙂