When it comes to cooking on a weeknight, I love making meals that are easy and that make leftovers! When we started our health and fitness journey, this Mexican quinoa bake is a recipe that I added into our weekly rotation, and it is seriously so good. My husband and I love Mexican food, and I honestly think that we could eat it everyday! My favorite part of Mexican food is definitely the cheese, and the cheese that I like to use in this recipe is either Borden® Cheese Finely ShreddedFour Cheese Mexican Shreds or Borden® Cheese Finely Shredded Sharp Cheddar Shreds. I found my Borden® Cheese at Lowes Foods, but check out this store locator to find Borden® Cheese near you! In all honesty, I really love this recipe because of the melted cheese on the top after it comes out of the oven. What's better than that?! Another great part about making this recipe though is that my husband and I are able to sit down at the kitchen table together, enjoy dinner, and talk about our day. Love is always an ingredient that goes into dinner too. Here's how you can make this Mexican quinoa bake:
1 cup of uncooked quinoa
2 cups of Borden® Cheese Finely Shredded Four Cheese Mexican Shreds
1 diced small onion
1 bag of sweet peppers, diced
1 cup frozen corn
1 tsp of ground cumin
1 tsp of chili powder
2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups of red enchilada sauce
1 sliced avocado
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Add the quinoa and water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook the quinoa according to the instructions on the package.
3. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the onion, corn, sweet peppers, cumin, and chili powder with a little bit of olive oil. Cook until the onion becomes translucent.
4. In a large mixing bowl combine the cooked quinoa, veggies, black beans, and enchilada sauce.
5. Pour the mixture into the 9x13 pan, and add the cheese on top. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
6. Serve with sliced avocado on top.
What's your favorite meal to make on a weeknight?